Friday, May 29, 2009

$20 Oil Change or $1200 Motor

We are all familiar with the importance of taking care of our cars. It's all sorts of little things; filling the gas tank; changing the wiper blades; putting air in the tires, or even changing the oil. A little bit here and a little bit there prevents major catastrophic things from going wrong. At least that's what my father taught me, but somehow my brother didn't pick up the same lesson.

When I was 20 my older brother wanted to borrow my car to go camping. He owned a fancy Chevy Beretta, it was a V6 with all sorts of get up and go, and I drove a Oldsmobile Cutlass Sierra. The reason he wanted to borrow it was because it was a bigger four door car and he could get all the people and stuff in it easier than in his sporty car. This sounded like a good idea to me, because then I could take the much sportier Beretta out for a spin. And that's where things took a strange turn. Apparently the indicator light cluster on his car had stopped working, and he never did anything about it. so around 1 in the morning on a back country road while accelerating aggressively from a stop I suddenly found the car without power. This was in the time before cell phones, and out in the country you never know what you're going to find, but up the road a way there was a light on in a house and a wonderful lady with four good teeth was kind enough to let me in to call my dad. The verdict, after towing the car to the shop it turns out that my brother hadn’t changed the oil in over a year and the engine was completely seized.

What does that have to do with Chiropractic? Quite a lot actually. Most people wait until something dramatic happens to them before they seek Chiropractic care, kind of like me wandering down the dark country road because of a seized engine, when their body is already telling them that they're past due for some maintenance. Sometimes we see the signals, and sometimes we don't, but either way, a regular maintenance schedule of care which is generally a basic $45 service every month or so can prevent your body from having a major break down in function. To put it in perspective compare that $45 visit to three days off work unpaid and 6 visits over the course of the first two weeks at your $50 insurance co pay. It adds up quickly.

So pay attention to what your body is telling you and call today to schedule a wellness visit. Your body will thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment